Sunday, January 13, 2013

January 3

1. The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (2012)                IMDB Rotten Tomatoes
    (Repeat)


First film of the year is The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, directed by Peter Jackson and starring Martin Freeman and Ian McKellan. I'm so glad this one starts out the year, as I absolutely adore this film. This was my second time seeing the film, as I'd already seen it at the midnight premiere, though I never saw it in 48 fps. And I don't plan to. I'm well aware of what the technology does, and I believe the realism that it brings isn't necessary in the world of film.

The film itself is a worthy adaption of the book series. Yes, it adds, amends, and takes out some things, but I think it was a fine decision. Never once did Jackson declare that this was a clone of the original book. This film is only an adaptation of Tolkien's work, and in that case is fantastic. It runs a tad long, but so do all Lord of the Rings movies. I think the film keeps a good pace, has a strong balance of humor, emotion, and action, and includes some impeccable acting from Martin Freeman (Bilbo) and Sir Ian McKellan (Gandalf). I'm still hoping they'll give Ian McKellan a Golden Globe or Oscar for his performances in these films, because he does a glorious job every time.

Though I completely understand some of the criticism this film has received, I believe that as a film adaption of the classic novel this movie stands strong and is a beautiful and entertaining journey.

8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment