Saturday, January 19, 2013

January 11

6. Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012)                                                                 IMDB Rotten Tomatoes

Beasts of the Southern Wild, directed by Benh Zeitlin, and starring Quvenzhané Wallis and Dwight Henry.

Interesting. So very interesting. This film is definitely one of the most original works I've seen in a while. The concept is very...fresh, and the presentation is captivating.

I want to say that I am very impressed by Ms. Wallis in this film. At the mere age of five, she is able to keep me interested in the film the entire way through. Very impressive. I'm not really sure why she's nominated for an Oscar, because I feel like she's just considered good for her age, and not comparable to any of the other nominees. But that doesn't matter much; I enjoyed her performance.

Now, as much as I enjoyed this film, I never really knew what it was about. It doesn't follow the standard story-telling arch, where you can tell how close the film is to being done. It just presents the lives of these people, in 90 minutes. Even now, I'm still not sure what the film is about. I understand it's about the lives of these people, and the importance of home. But why? Why does it matter? That's what I'm still trying to figure out. And the metaphor of the large swines? Not really sure.

Nevertheless, I was impressed, enchanted, entertained, and taught something. Though I'm not sure what.

7/10

No comments:

Post a Comment